Friday, January 18, 2008

Is it just me, or are we going insane?

This morning I was listening to an NPR segment on the upcoming Republican primary in South Carolina. Every person they interviewed was gushing about how they just absolutely had to have the most "Christian", most "righteous", most "faithful" candidate.

"My belief in Jesus Christ tells me..." etc etc etc

I kept waiting for the segment to continue with something about how unfortunate it is that so many people cast their vote based on their religious faith rather than on real issues that affect all of us, like educating our kids or feeding the hungry or helping others in need around the world.

The segment said nothing of how our democracy is stumbling ever-closer to a theocracy. Or how faith-based (read: anti-reality) thinking has gotten us into quite a scrape these last few years.

Nothing.

I think it's totally fine that people have their various faiths and it's great that they have found these foundations upon which to live their lives, but can't they just peek out from behind their righteous parapets for a few moments to make a decision like electing a President on some grounds other than religious fervor?

Is it just me?

2 comments:

Nick said...

Alas, it is just you. You're the only rational person left, I'm afraid. I've just joined the Church of Scientology and Xenu tells me you've got to be more like Tom Cruise.

And really, would you rather that our president were chosen on some other metric, like say, how good his hair looks when he's waving to the victims of some disaster?

You, and all the other realityologists need to embrace the coming storm: The righteous fervor of people who aren't bound by anything as mundane as evidence.

I'm praying for your eternal damned soul.

Michael McDaniel said...

Blame NPR. What is this -- we report, you decide?