Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Two movies that surprised me

My frist two rentals from Netflix were The Kingdom and 28 Days Later. I won't summarize the plots here because you can just go to imdb or Rotten Tomatoes and take care of that. But I will say that they were both very good movies. Surprisingly so.

I'd seen trailers for The Kingdom back when it was in theaters, but even though the idea of seeing Jennifer Garner shoot it out with terrorists was intriguing, I never bothered to go see it. Netflix featured it prominently in its custom recommendations for me (good on you, Netflix), so I picket it up. I was expecting an action/intrigue type of thing but instead found myself watching a smart "buddy film" with characters I cared about and a story arc that not only moved me but made me think.

28 Days Later also made me think. I was expecting a mindless zombie flick (which I enjoy for reasons I don't even understand, myself). But what I got there was a visually mind-blowing film with good acting, interesting characters going through multiple arcs, and a suprising and satisfying plot twist. I watched the film, then I stayed up late to watch it again with commentary from the director and the writer. Good stuff!

Too bad 28 Weeks Later wasn't nearly as good in comparison.

No comments: