Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Freedom from Cable TV

I recently cancelled my cable TV subscription. Here's why:
  • After seeing the quality Michael was getting at his house via an HDTV antenna, I pulled the trigger. I bought a small antenna from AntennasDirect and set it up in a window in the TV room. I didn't even have to mount it on the roof. I get the big networks as well as PBS is lovely HD. After paying for TV for decades, it's hard to believe I can get this stuff for free.
  • Technology has finally reached the point where I can get the shows I want a-la-carte through distribution means other than cable TV. The only TV shows we care about are Battlestar Galactica (which is in its last season) and House, and even House we could do without. We also like to get PBS shows for the kids. Even so, I'm usually open to checking out something new and good, and I don't mind being a season or two or three behind. With complete seasons of TV shows like Stargate, Sopranos, etc. all on DVD I still have access to the shows even though I don't get the cable networks.
  • There's a neat (but still beta-quality) little app out there that lets me stream Netflix shows directly to my Xbox 360. This was a key feature for me because it opened up the whole a-la-carte TV thing without requiring me to pay for each episode individually. I'm also in a phase where I'm checking out movies from 5 - 10 years ago, which matches the "Watch Now" selection pretty well.

It's a small thing, but boy does it feel good to kiss those absurdely high-priced Comcast bills goodbye.

No comments: